Monday, February 13, 2006

New Baseball/Softball Complex Opens

The Bearkats win big as their new baseball and softball fields open - and fans loved it, as noted in the Huntsville Item (Feb. 12, 2006):
A large fan base braved the cold, windy weather Saturday for a first look at the Sam Houston State Bearkat Softball and Baseball Complex.

Huntsville resident Dave Smith said he’s watched the complex grow from the ground up.  “I really like it,” he said during the Bearkat women’s game Saturday. “I live near here, so I got to enjoy watching it go up.  I used to walk here when it was woods. I used to find cougar and deer tracks here,” he said. “And, now we’re playing softball here. It’s just beautiful.”

“It’s just a lot nicer,” [student Cordy] Raney said, just as the Bearkats hit their first grand slam in the new softball park. “And, now I don’t have to worry about my car getting slammed anymore.”  The old parking at the softball team’s former home on Avenue M was located directly behind home plate. At the new facility, parking was only one of the many things considered when building.

No comments: