Fire alarms and smoke rising from a small construction accident caused the evacuation of a Sam Houston State University building Thursday, officials said. The Smith-Hutson building closed due to a smoldering panel that fell through its ceiling. The estimated cost of the minor damage is not available at this time. At approximately 3:10 p.m., officials said they received a call reporting smoke on the third floor and fire alarms going off in the building. Contractors had been working on the roof of the building when the panel caught fire and dropped through the roofing level between the new building and the old building cross over, officials said.
Buildings of Sam Houston State University documents the changes of the SHSU campus in Huntsville, Texas from its inception in 1879 through tomorrow. The Brick and Mortarboard presents news and commentary about the buildings, the people, and the history of SHSU. Stay informed and impress your friends.
Friday, September 30, 2011
Reports from the Item on the fire at the Smith-Hutson Business Administration Building:
Thursday, September 1, 2011
President Dana Gibson addressed the faculty and staff during the annual State of the University address on Wednesday [Aug. 31]; Today@Sam has some of the highlights, including the recent opening of both Old Main Market and Lone Star Hall, the construction of the Woodlands campus, and ongoing upgrades to University Camp:
Campus planning includes an agricultural complex to be located at the Gibbs Ranch, a new biology, nursing and allied health building to be located where Academic Building 3 is, and an event center, which will feature a ballroom approximately 40 percent larger than the one currently housed in the Lowman Student Center.