Reports from the Item on the fire at the Smith-Hutson Business Administration Building:
Fire alarms and smoke rising from a small construction accident caused the evacuation of a Sam Houston State University building Thursday, officials said. The Smith-Hutson building closed due to a smoldering panel that fell through its ceiling. The estimated cost of the minor damage is not available at this time. At approximately 3:10 p.m., officials said they received a call reporting smoke on the third floor and fire alarms going off in the building. Contractors had been working on the roof of the building when the panel caught fire and dropped through the roofing level between the new building and the old building cross over, officials said.