Phases of Sam Houston State University construction and renovation projects with overall costs of almost $10 million were approved Friday by the university's board of regents. Today@Sam reports on the construction and renovation approvals, including:
- Awarding of a contract for the $4 million Estill Classroom Building renovation before the May board of regents meeting in order to complete the project prior to the start of the 1997 fall semester;
- $48,000 to hire Lee Singletary of Plano to provide final plans for an 18-hole university golf course and pro-shop development with a total project cost of $3 million, contingent upon approval of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board;
- Employment of Lamb and Barger Consulting Engineers of Houston for replacement of the artificial surface on the Bowers Stadium playing field, with anticipated cost of $1.2 million and completion prior to the 1996 fall semester;
- Issuance of purchase orders for the renovation of the Colony Apartments, Phase I, and Jackson-Shaver Hall, with a project cost of $465,000;
- Preliminary plans for renovation of the University Corner, former site of the Kampus Korner bookstore, at a cost of $328,000;
- Employment of Lockwood, Andrews and Newnam, Inc., of Houston for electrical distribution system upgrades to the King, Elliott, Belvin-Buchanan Hall, Lawrence, and Mitchell dorms at a project cost of $281,000;
- Contract award to Collier Construction of Brenham for renovation of the Belvin and Smith halls dining facilities, at a cost of $128,700.