Today@Sam announced some of the changes to SHSU during Payne’s administration:
- Increased enrollment by 27 percent.
- Moved the university from a Carnegie classification of Masters University to the classification of Research Doctoral University.
- Established internal connections with 18 universities in eight countries.
- Opened a multi-institution teaching center in north Houston.
- Established an innovative advising center, which was recognized in 2005 as one of the six best in the nation.
- Restructured Academic Affairs, adding two colleges.